Location: Kampala, Uganda
Kyagalanyi Coffee Ltd. [KCL] is a member of the Volcafe group, the coffee division of ED&F Man. It is the oldest and largest coffee exporter in Uganda and the first to become ISO 9001:2008 certified. We buy Arabica and Robusta in all coffee producing regions and export about 15% of Uganda’s coffee production to over 30 consuming countries around the world. The company heavily invests in Uganda’s coffee infrastructure and people. Our quality oriented business strategy aims to lift up the entire coffee sector and improve the quality perception of Ugandan Arabica and Robusta around the globe.
Kyagalanyi has a strong farmer support team that is creating significant impact in Uganda’s coffee areas. We deliver a range of services to assist tens of thousands of households across the country grow coffee production and quality, while taking care of people and planet. Services include individual household visits, agronomy trainings, processing equipment and gender, youth and green growth programs. We work with a range of international certification standards, including UTZ, Rainforest, AAA and C.A.F.E. Practices.
We are now looking for an Assistant Sustainability Manager to join our team in Kampala.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
The role will work in close collaboration with the Regional Sustainability Manager and will be responsible for a number of certified value chains and special projects. It will be the responsibility of this role to design and implement specific growth strategies for set value and supply chains including high profile projects. This will involve driving the strategic direction for the field teams including setting and monitoring field team goals, efficiencies and targets and ensuring certification standards are met and maintained. This post holder will also be responsible for managing and allocating costs for critical funding projects.
In an operating environment that aims to make a difference in the livelihoods of thousands of households, this role will also be responsible for creating and delivering innovative and robust projects, partnering with various organisations, from initial concept through to project sign off and implementation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- passion for sustainable coffee production practices
- Extensive work experience at a senior level in a certified / sustainable value chain in East Africa, with proven management experience.
- Proven experience in fund acquisition and project management delivery in a similar capacity and involving sizeable and high profile accounts.
- Strong experience in creating, managing and implementing financial budgets including being accountable for spend and delivery.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills including Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presentation and public speaking skills.
- Experience that balances both practical field work and office work.
- The ability to work independently, have a critical and analytical mind and results driven
- Experience with access to finance and (digital) M&E systems is an advantage.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Kyagalanyi Coffee Ltd. is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected by local law. We also take reasonable steps to accommodate applicants with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws.