We have an opportunity for an experienced and high caliber HR Business Partner to join a world leading agricultural commodities trading company within a wholly owned subsidiary of our Coffee Division, Volcafe.
Volcafe is one of the world’s leading international green coffee trading companies with its head office in Winterthur, Switzerland, operating in over 20 countries globally in coffee procurement, sustainability, blending and export as well as importing and distribution. Volcafe supplies the world’s major coffee roasters and retail distributors with their green coffee requirements and has significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
Working with the local Managing Director, the Coffee Head of HR, the Commercial Trading teams and our various international subsidiaries, this senior HR position offers a broad spectrum of opportunity, scope, commercial activity and authority. The successful candidate will cover the position of HR manager of Kyagalanyi in Uganda.
Reporting to the Coffee Head of Human Resources this is a critical HR role responsible for HR activity in Uganda. This is a new role to strengthen the HR function, by providing responsive and hands-on support and strategic thinking, making this an ideal opportunity for a proactive Senior HR Manager to make a real impact. The role requires a hand-on individual who is able to deliver on the day-to-day as well as see the bigger picture and work on longer term challenges.
This role interfaces with business leaders in Uganda providing a full range of HR services, informing and influencing their commercial agendas and supporting their day to day people requirements.
The role may also represent part of the succession planning pool of talent for the Volcafe Africa RHR position in future.
• Oversee HR management of the Coffee business operations in Uganda and be directly responsible for delivery and quality of all aspects of Human Resources.
• Ensure Employee engagement, Governance, legal and compliance.
• Deliver a strong talent sourcing and recruitment service in terms of efficiency and calibre of candidates appointed.
• Ensure the organization’s development and training needs for Uganda are identified and met and aligned with overall Group Talent Management process.
• Manage organizational change issues.
• Lead Compensation, benefits & payroll both on an international and national basis.
• Develop and implement HR policies in coordination with Group guidelines.
• Managing performance and employee relations issues as and when they arise and promoting strong employee engagement.
• Substantial HR experience with a strong generalist background and emphasis on delivering HR services to a highly commercial business.
• Knowledge of Ugandan marketplaces, especially employment laws and practices.
• The ability to make fast, effective decisions is vital, as is the ability to acknowledge and manage the implications of those decisions across every aspect of the business.
• A pragmatic and resilient leader with strong interpersonal and communication skills is essential for this role. Ability to motivate people with no direct reporting and simultaneously manage several projects.
• Practical, resilient character who is comfortable dealing with challenging situations and can apply pragmatism.
• Have a deep understanding on how to align business needs and design HR programs to deliver value to the organization.
• Ability to work with minimum support structure, hold strong business and managerial skills, including project management, vendor and negotiation and influencing skills. The building and maintaining of strong relationships is key to this role.
• Multi-language capabilities, spoken and written, would be preferred.
• Ability to lead and facilitate group meetings.
• A commercial mindset is required with basic knowledge of commodities trading and derivatives businesses being an advantage.
• Strong numerical skills and a keen eye for detail would be an asset.
• The position requires a willingness to work to a flexible schedule and travel nationally.