ED&F Man has an opportunity for an experienced and high calibre Financial Controller to join a world leading trader of agricultural commodities within a wholly owned subsidiary of our Coffee Trading Division - Volcafe. This senior finance position offers a broad spectrum of opportunity, scope, commercial activity and authority.
The successful candidate will cover the position of Financial Controller of our main trading entity in Switzerland coordinating and financially managing this business which is at the centre of all our coffee trading, including providing high quality analysis, review, decision support and financial leadership.
We are seeking a commercial oriented finance professional who is able to drive the business forward. This is a significant “hands on” role requiring flexibility to handle detailed transactional level work as well as higher level analysis and review. Ideally, you will have significant experience of operating within a fast paced multinational, entrepreneurial trading and/or commercial environment.
The successful individual will have a solid understanding of physical commodity trading and its impact on financial reporting, cash funding and risk. It is essential to have experience of hedging accounted for under IFRS.
Volcafe is one of the world’s leading international green coffee trading companies with its head office in Winterthur, Switzerland, operating in over 20 countries globally, in coffee procurement, sustainability, blending and export as well as importing and distribution, and it supplies the world’s major coffee roasters and retail distributors with their green coffee requirements, with significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
• Lead and assume full responsibility for appropriate resourcing and Financial management of Destination entities.
• Coordinate, review and drive the financial performance and results of each operation, including commercial insight and analysis.
• Act as a business partner to the respective commercial customer and provide meaningful analytics to drive through change such as: effective and lean Overhead management.
• Lead and advise on financial and commercial decisions and consult with the Regional Directors.
• Develop a consistent and comprehensive set of standards and reports throughout the Region within the broader umbrella of adhering to the Group minimum control standards while improving financial and commercial support services to the business.
• Liaise between the local subsidiaries, the region and the Head Office finance department.
• Responsible for managing and delivering accurate budgeting medium term and long term planning within group timelines
• Prepare for and manage internal and external annual audits – maintain a strong internal control environment.
• Maximize the benefits of systems, including providing leadership and guidance to new systems implementation IT projects, such as ITAS.
• Understand the divisional trade flows, their impact on cash management, resource usage, statutory reporting and tax planning/optimization.
• Be able to answer and provide robust solutions to any business challenges in the Coffee Division, Group Headquarters or from overseas subsidiary operations.
• Proactively gain an understanding of new accounting standards and their potential impact on the business unit’s results.
• Provide strong support to the CFO and assist in special projects, including but not limited to entity-exits, acquisitions, restructuring and insourcing projects.
• Provide assistance to the CFO on internal and Group-related Management Information and Committee reporting, such as the Commodities Committee monthly papers.
• Capital investment proposals, appraisals and project management.
• Full knowledge of treasury management and VAT & Tax compliance.
• Employee development, including mentoring, performance management and oversight of all in-country local subsidiary controllers in the respective region.
• Coordinate group financing and Treasury deliverables with local teams.
Skills & Qualifications
• Over 10 years of experience in an international controlling environment.
• Commodity knowledge and Leadership potential are essential. Coffee knowledge is an advantage.
• Degree in Accounting or Finance and/ or CPA.
• Knowledge of finance, accounting (IFRS), budgeting, and cost control principles. Experience in managing risk, understanding of controls and related control frameworks.
• Experience in merger targeting, due diligence and integration.
• Experience in leveraging system capabilities, program / project management, problem solving and adopting a cross-border attitude.
• Strong leadership and business partnering skills and excellent communication skills with a highly visible “hands on” management style.
• Critical thinking, analysis and presentation of data, global financial perspective, strategic agility, dealing with ambiguity.
• Business perspective, change and conflict management, organizational agility and facilitation skills.
• Change management skills: ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
• Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and international travel.