Trainee Sugar Trader - Dubai (Arabic Speaker)
Applications for this position are now closed
We are looking for a commercially astute Arabic speaker to embark on a challenging career as a Sugar Trader. The role will be based in our Dubai office - the Middle East trading hub. The Middle East Region is particularly important as an import and distribution centre within the context of ED&F Man’s Global Supply Chains.
This is a rare opportunity to join an established commodities trading house as a trainee with exposure to trading in global markets from day one. Learning all aspects of the business you will carry out a wide variety of activities to enhance your learning from our expert Traders.
This role has the benefit of forming part of the ED&F Man Commercial Trainee Programme, an experienced graduate scheme with unparalleled mentoring, training and personal development. The successful candidate will join at a time when global demand for agricultural commodities is at an all-time high and unprecedented challenges and opportunities exist.
- Assist in the physical trading of raw, refined and white sugar throughout the global markets.
- Build strong relations with growers and ‘point of origin’ suppliers.
- Establish relationships with existing customers and create new business as well as connections with industry contacts.
- Monitor supply and demand developments, movements and regional sugar market trends and provide analysis.
- Support in the negotiation of contracts to agree prices, quality, delivery and specifications.
- Ensure timely execution of contracts and delivery of shipments to customers, by investigating and resolving logistics issues.
- Control costs by evaluating freights, bookings and establish efficient and reliable route of shipment.
- Support the Senior Traders in building commercial relationships with customers and government entities, and managing a large portfolio of complex and diverse customers.
- Monitor relevant material and maintain current market knowledge of trends and market conditions in order to review financial positions.
- Research the soft commodity markets and provide analysis to traders.
- Complete fluency in business English and Arabic.
- Two to three years of commercial experience in a merchant, trading or related role.
- High calibre degree in a relevant subject.
- A capable oral and written communicator who effectively builds relationships.
- Strong commercial acumen and analytical skills.
- Flexible and adaptable; eager to learn and thoroughly understand the sugar industry, able to adjust to change quickly and keen to take on new challenges.
- Self confidence, with the ability to voice opinions constructively.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; generates ideas for business improvements and is able to implement them.
- Strong emphasis on performance; sets high standards, goal orientated, ambitious and able to maintain performance under pressure.
- Determined and resilient with a desire to make a long term contribution to ED&F Man’s business.
- A strong interest in the agricultural commodities industry.
- Committed team player who is willing to be flexible and assist with a whole range of tasks to support your colleagues.
- Proficient IT skills are crucial, particularly Excel.
- Willingness to travel at short notice to any destination worldwide as required by the business.
Features of the Commercial Trainee Programme:
- Work in a specific, hands-on commercial role from day one.
- On-the-job learning following a specifically tailored training and development plan.
- Formal commercial knowledge and soft skills development.
- Sponsorship to undertake a professional commodities qualification
- Management and delivery of a social or environmental initiative in one of our communities globally.
- Mentoring by a senior business leader.
- Extensive networking with international colleagues.