Location: Bremen, Madrid & Amsterdam
ED&F Man has an opportunity for an experienced and high-calibre Marketing and Communications Manager to join our wholly owned coffee trading subsidiary, Volcafe. This senior position offers a broad spectrum of opportunity, scope, and authority.
The Volcafe Marketing and Communications Manager will work with Volcafe’s Sustainability Director and ED&F Man’s Head of Communications, to produce a marketing and communications strategy that will increase awareness of our global sustainability remit and work in order to enhance Volcafe’s reputation and help deliver our business plan.
Volcafe is one of the world’s leading international green coffee trading companies with its head office in Winterthur, Switzerland, operating in over 20 countries globally, in coffee procurement, sustainability, blending and export as well as importing and distribution, and it supplies the world’s major coffee roasters and retail distributors with their green coffee requirements, with significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
Volcafe builds and operates certified, sustainable supply chains across all our origins, addressing key economic, social and environmental issues in coffee farming communities. Since 2014 Volcafe has been providing direct technical assistance to farmers through our Volcafe Way programme, helping them to improve their coffee quality, farm productivity and yields.
Responsibilities to include, but are not limited to:
Sustainability Communications & Marketing
- Support in rolling out and implementing the sustainability strategy.
- Develop an internal and external multi-channel communications strategy to position Volcafe as a leader in sustainable coffee to all audiences.
- Establish coherent overarching messages for all relevant audiences on sustainability that complement and develop the corporate branding.
- Work with Volcafe’s General Managers, marketing and communications colleagues and origin-based sustainability experts to implement the sustainability communications strategy to deliver business objectives.
- Develop an internal and external strategy for communicating our Volcafe Way programme including branding, materials, channels etc.
- Create and manage a repository of sustainability content to be used by Volcafe globally.
- Act as a ‘news desk’ for gathering sustainability content to publish through Volcafe’s channels.
- Guide and manage marketing and communications for Volcafe Way including strategy, materials, etc to support delivery of Volcafe Way’s business plan.
- Create and deliver a plan to make Volcafe a thought leader in sustainability in coffee including articles, speeches, events.
- Assist in the creation of presentations to NGOs, Donors, Banks and Clients including the digital sustainability report.
- Represent Volcafe at industry events, conferences and roundtables.
Global Communications & Marketing
- Work with the Head of Communications and marketing and communications colleagues to establish and maintain communications through digital, social and traditional channels and tools for Volcafe to enable us to deliver on our communications agenda.
- Work with Volcafe’s commercial teams to agree and create marketing materials that support our commercial aims.
- Be part of Volcafe’s Editorial Panel
- Work with the Head of Communications, HR, Recruitment and Sustainability colleagues to contribute to Volcafe’s calendar of internal and external communications that supports business objectives. Help maintain this calendar/attend planning meetings.
- Create or commission content including stories, photos, film, presentations, marketing materials, displays etc for sharing through Volcafe’s communications channels.
- Be a brand ambassador and act as a consultant for Volcafe branding.
- Manage a communications budget, establishing KPIs to show value for money.
- Investigate the use of new digital marketing/digital asset management tools for use by Volcafe.
- Own and manage digital marketing & social media globally (incl. Sustainability).
Skills and Expertise
- Bachelors/Masters degree, ideally a marketing related subject, or equivalent experience is desirable.
- Extensive experience of communications in a global business to include experience in both strategic planning and content creation.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience of sustainability marketing/communications in a global business is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of use of digital marketing and social media to achieve business aims.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in Spanish is advantageous.
- Ability to research and create content for channels.
- Advanced writing and editing skills
- Background in business-to-business marketing.
- Experience working with remote and international teams.
- Demonstrable experience of working on multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Knowledge of sustainability practices in agriculture is desirable.
- Experience of working in a physical commodity trader is advantageous.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, social media apps and publishing tools.
Who we are
Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 6,000 people in 50 countries and annual revenue in excess of $7bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses.
ED&F Man’s coffee business, Volcafe, is one of the world’s largest traders of arabica and robusta coffees and provides beans for 80 billion cups of coffee each year. Our expertise spans green coffee procurement and preparation, quality control, risk management and logistics.
We work in countries that collectively account for over 90% of world production. From single origin micro-lots to mainstream commercial grades and customised blends, we have what it takes to get the right product to our roaster and retail customers – on time, every time. We are also big on sustainability and traceability: our unique farmer outreach programme, known as The Volcafe Way, works directly with coffee growers to train them in best agronomy practice and sound business management.
Here at ED&F Man we are guided by our five company values: Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus and Entrepreneurship. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.