The successful candidate will cover the position of Chartering Executive and will be based in Mumbai India, and work alongside our chartering and operations colleagues in our London, India and Singapore offices. The position will suit someone who is experienced and confident in dry bulk vessel chartering mainly on voyage charters.
Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 5,500 people in 50 countries and annual revenue in excess of $8bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses. Corporate responsibility is ingrained in our culture. We are passionate about sustainable production, take care to limit the environmental impact of our operations and actively support the communities in which we work. As a member of Bonsucro all our processing operations and trading hubs have the highest sustainability credentials and we play an active role in developing the sustainability agenda.
We source or process raw, white and specialty sugars from over 40 producing countries. We sell to refineries, industrial users, wholesalers, retailers and consumers, offering local solutions though a number of in-country purchasing, sales and distribution businesses.
- Chartering in suitable drycargo tonnage to fulfill and support commercial responsibilities of the global Sugar trading team for both bagged and bulk sugar requirements
- Support trading team for potential sales with timely freight estimations
- Ensuring vessels chartered meet required criteria (terminal/contracts/compliance/insurers)
- May include geographically diverse Atlantic/Asia Pacific/Europe-Med/Middle East/West Africa origins/destinations
- Excellent knowledge of shipping/chartering terminology of voyage charters
- Good negotiation skills of freight contracts (Sugar 99 C/P) in line with company policies
- Knowledge of laytime/demurrage/despatch calculations
- Support and build relationships with shipowners and brokers worldwide to expand pool of vessel availability and collecting market intelligence
- Assist operations team in problem resolution when necessary
- Regular updating of freight matrices for trading/research team
- Monitor and analyse shipping market trends and geopolitical events that may affect freight rates
Skills and Experience
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Energetic, self-motivated with strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
- Willing and able to work long hours or outside office hours when required to accomplish designated tasks
- Comfortable working in a multicultural work environment with global offices
- Ideally residing in or near Mumbai
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role in Dry-Bulk Shipowning company or Commodity Trading house is preferred
- At least tertiary education in a Maritime, Business or numerical based discipline
- ICS qualifications will be a definite added advantage
- Good knowledge of Excel
- Has exposure to minibulk-handy upto Ultramax segments
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.