We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join us as a District Sales Manager to work in a truly global environment to be responsible for generating new business and existing business relationships in the dairy market of the Texas Panhandle and Eastern New Mexico. To a lesser extent, may have some responsibility for cow/calf and/or feedlot business as needed. This role is the primary contact for customers and reports to our Regional Sales Manager.
This position will be home-based ideally in the panhandle area of Texas requiring daily travel to customers in the region.
Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform. Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
We are part of ED&F Man Commodities, a world leading trader of agricultural products including coffee, sugar, molasses and animal feed.
- Regularly schedules appointments with current customers to maintain business relationships and to explain products and services available.
- Calls on and interacts with independent dairy nutrition consultants to educate, increase awareness of, and position the value of Westway products and services. Brings in Technical Service team to assist with technical information as needed.
- Prepares product pricing and credit for customers within reasonable margins, prepares sales contracts.
- Works directly with customers to effectively resolve issues and provide technical advice. Coordinates with distributors and production facilities as needed to resolve issues. Escalating as necessary.
- Actively pursues new business to expand the company, compiling lists of prospective customers for use as sale leads.
- Assists customers on equipment assignments and resolving any issues promptly.
- Coordinates orders from customers as necessary and effectively manages monthly customer pricing.
- Annually prepares and achieves sales budget, assisting with sales forecasting activities and sets performance goals accordingly.
- Develops and implements strategic sales plans to accommodate corporate goals.
- Prepares reports showing business transactions, potential sales, and areas of proposed customer expansion and publishes monthly travel plan.
- Collaborates with production facilities on customer’s orders and delivery.
- Monitors and evaluates the competition and makes recommendations to respond to competition, keeping up to date on industry trends.
- Assists with collections by working with customers on payments and/or payment schedules.
- Represents Westway at industry functions and organizations as requested.
- Takes the initiative to identify problems, uses judgment to find appropriate solutions and follows through on resolving issues in a timely manner.
- Supports team efforts, cooperates with others, and actively learns from other team members.
Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of the dairy market and industry trends – essential.
- Sales experience – essential, preferably within the dairy market and/or feed industry.
- Experience of working with large scale accounts/customers with the ability to provide strong examples of effective relationship building and influence with customers.
- BS in Agriculture or related degree desirable not essential.
- Ability to research and analyze market/industry/customers and to apply that information to manage accounts and increase sales.
- Ability to understand and apply basic mathematical concepts and to incorporate favorable terms for the company into negotiations.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business and professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, and financial reports.
- Ability to effectively present information, communicate with, and respond to questions and complaints from co-workers, management, and customers and to write reports, correspondence, and procedures.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems and interpret a variety of instructions, policies and data.
- High motivation level with the ability to perform work with considerable independence under the general direction of supervisor and ability to exercise judgment and make decisions independently.
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
To apply you must have the right to work for the provided location.