We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join us as a Plant Manager for our plant in Stockton, California to work in a truly global environment to take full responsibility and oversight of the facility. This position is responsible for all aspects of the plant including the P&L and budgeting responsibility. Manging plant operators, and partners with environmental health and safety manager as well as working closely with the commercial, finance and human resources groups in meeting the objectives of the plant.
Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform. Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
We are part of ED&F Man Commodities, a world leading trader of agricultural products including coffee, sugar, molasses and animal feed.
Salary: $100-140,000 plus bonus and a full range of comprehensive and attractive benefits
- Implements a zero-incident culture with a focus on elimination of incidents and hazards and preventing any damage to the environment
- Performs all tasks in a safe and professional manner in conformance with regulations, terminal rules, quality standards and company policies
- Maintains proficient communication with Health & Safety, Environment, Production, Quality Control, Maintenance, Logistics and Sales departments
- Manages the P&L to meet regional and corporate financial goals
- Maintains capital assets and manages capital improvements and construction projects associated with plant upgrades or new installations
- Management of employees including hiring, discipline process, employee performance reviews, the safety of employees and the management of safety programs
- Facilitation and development of customer relations and service using a quantitative, quality-based approach
- Stays abreast of changes in working conditions or new technology that could increase the safety and efficiency of the operations
- Initiates and supports improvement plans for employees to succeed in their efforts to achieve the goals of the department
- Implements company policies on worker safety, safety regulations, company policies/procedures and work rules
- Responsible for all aspects of inventory management activity for the site
- Manages plant costs and assets, including maintenance, repair, and capital for all equipment
- Manages all contracts and subcontracts associated with the plant
- Implements and manages plant security, environmental testing, corrective action, and permits
- Performs plant inspections and manage project quality control
- Manages plant truck distribution and logistics
- Reports and investigates accidents or unsafe conditions at plant
- Enforces company policies and procedures
- Manage all contracts associated with plant including but not limited to rail carriers, land leases, trans loaders (sub-contractors), truck companies, and equipment
- Implements and maintains daily, weekly, and yearly reports and summaries on production, inventory and plant equipment / asset maintenance
- Daily activity and product inventory reporting
- Coordinates and interacts with government agencies, including state, counties, and local personnel
Skills and Experience:
- Industry experience required ideally from agriculture, bulk liquids, chemicals, fertilizers, terminal operations or food manufacturing
- Bachelor’s degree – highly preferred
- Experience with the broad, multi-mode bulk liquid handling including truckload, shipping and rail
- General engineering knowledge; steam boilers, compressors, loading racks, product blenders and automation systems
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with truck, bulk and inventory programs, and MS windows applications and plant automation software
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and techniques used in planning, budgeting, reporting, and staffing
- Works effectively with others, has strong inter-personal and negotiation skills, can communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and good presentation skills at all levels of the organization
- Ability to resolve and overcome issues, problems and roadblocks to meet objectives
No vision impairments or colour blindness and a general good fitness, condition and physique to safely:
- Work outside for long periods of time, in shifts and overtime (as necessary), including weekends or evenings, in any weather condition
- Execute manual handling activities
- Be working at height without limitations
- Using (vertical) ladders and pathways (e.g. walking on platforms, scaffolding, climbing on top of railcars, truck trailers and land tanks, etc.)
- Work in confined spaces
- Operate a forklift truck
- Work with chemicals and hazardous substances
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities.
We share the commitment of our parent company, ED&F Man Commodities. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
To apply you must have the right to work for the provided location.