We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join us as a Assistant Plant Manager based in Clovis, New Mexico, managing the day-to-day operation of the Westway Feed Products bulk liquid feed facility to maximize efficiency, safety, and profitability. This role will ensure that all orders are handled effectively and in line with customer’s needs. Working within our highly diverse business you will have the opportunity to make a real impact working on a range of regional and global projects, support on the day-to- day management of Plant issues.
Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform. Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
We are part of ED&F Man Commodities, a world leading trader of agricultural products including coffee, sugar, molasses and animal feed.
• Directly supervises and coordinates the activities of the plant employees
• Assists the plant manager with recruitment, training, performance management, compensation, time-off and discipline
• Coordinates production and receiving, and ensures orders are fulfilled correctly
• Observes and makes recommendations regarding the efficiency of the plant operations
• Assists in planning and coordinating customer service activities in consultation with the plant manager, acts as a contact for customers in conjunction with plant manager
• Enforces company policies and procedures to promote and ensure a safe and environmentally responsible workplace, assisting with safety meetings and inspections
• Ensures all production is carried out as per company polices and regulations, including ensuring appropriate product mixing and blending, and coordinating the logistics and movement of product
• Plans and completes record keeping programs
• Assists with plant audits and completes special projects as requested by management
• Interacts and communicates with colleagues and employees in a professional and appropriate manner and responds to and gives feedback in a respectful and positive manner
• Takes the initiative to identify problems, uses judgment to find appropriate solutions and follows through on resolving issues in a timely manner
• Maintains confidentiality and supports team efforts, actively working to generate respect and enthusiasm, cooperation, and active learning from team members
Skills and Experience:
To perform the duties of this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below outline the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies that are required in this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Experience as a plant operator and/or relevant plant, refinery, or tank vessel experience
• Experience and knowledge of staff supervision
• Knowledge of and skill in operating equipment, manual handling activities, and the ability to use hand and power tools
• Customer service focus
• Able to read, analyze, and interpret documents (regulations, policies, reports, bids, ), blueprints, drawings and write reports, correspondence, and procedures
• Able to effectively present information, communicate with, and respond to questions and complaints from staff, co- workers, management, and customers
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and able to learn other software
• Knowledge of pertinent laws and regulations
• No vision impairments or colour blindness and a general good fitness, condition, and physique to safely:
• Flexible and able work outside for long periods of time, in shifts and overtime (as necessary), including weekends or evenings, in any weather condition
• Able to work at height without limitations and in confined places using (vertical) ladders and pathways (e.g. walking on platforms, scaffolding, climbing on top of railcars, truck trailers and land tanks, etc.).
• Able to operate forklift trucks
• Knowledge of safely working with chemicals and hazardous substances
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities.
We share the commitment of our parent company, ED&F Man Commodities. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
To apply you must have the right to work for the provided location.