An opportunity has arisen for a Senior HSE Manager, based in the Woodlands, Texas with substantial travel 50% of the time to our North American plants to be safety champion for Westway Feed Products driving a zero-incident culture throughout the organization. Providing leadership and technical expertise, managing, and administering health, safety, environmental, security, (HSE) policies, programs and practices and advising management on HSE issues to create and maintain a safe environment for all our employees. Work involves the identification, development, implementation and evaluation of program policies and procedures as directed by state, federal and administrative codes, as well as professional practice standards.
Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform. Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
We are part of ED&F Man Commodities, a world leading trader of agricultural products including coffee, sugar, molasses and animal feed.
• Responsible for management and implementation of HSE standards and programs designed to provide a best-in-class safety experience for all employees, contractors, and visitors
• Establish, implement, and evaluates policy, procedure, and program content
• Develops and implements policies and procedures regarding all areas of HSE, including injury/accident prevention, loss prevention, occupational safety and emergency management programs
• Coach, counsel, and develop employees to lead a safety culture change in the organization. Select, orient, train, counsel, discipline and direct all program staff
• Routinely conduct quality assurance activities through reviews, meetings, reports, and observation of results, according to professional practice standards and regulatory compliance
• Evaluate and monitor program needs, revising as appropriate and problem-solving issues with other services, as indicated
• Organize and coordinate system-wide projects, plan and consult with others as necessary, writing reports, policies and procedures, as indicated
• Advises management on HSE issues, including hazards, controls and protective equipment, emergency response, programs, laws/regulations and related HSE issue
• Investigates workplace accidents and incidents, ensuring that policies and procedures are in place to avoid future accidents and incidents and working with managers to document and communicate incidents effectively
• Analyzes accidents and hazards and uses analysis to plan and implement work site safety practices
• Conducts internal reviews to ensure Westway is in compliance with all local, state, federal and provincial regulations, laws, and court decisions and internal policies and to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determining corrective action or preventative measures
• Works with external agencies on safety measures; coordinating and managing audits and complaints to external agencies
• Performs safety training and new employee orientation
• Develops and populates the HSE data management system, as required
Skills and Experience:
• Substantial experience in, including supervisory experience in HSE leadership role, preferably within a manufacturing or bulk processing environment
• Experience of successfully driving culture change around health, safety and the environment
• Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Environmental Science or Engineering
• Knowledge of HSE principles and ability to accurately apply and use HSE concepts
• Familiarity with regulations and laws, including OSHA, SARA, RCRA, CAA, USCG, PSM, etc
• Experience with federal/state and administrative codes
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business and professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, financial reports, and legal documents
• Ability to effectively present information, communicate with, and respond to questions and complaints from co-workers, management, customers, and the public
• Ability to write reports, procedure manuals, quality assurance reports, flowcharts, and design/create/manage databases
• Knowledge of accident and injury investigation techniques and root cause analysis and experience in gathering data, performing interviews, and reviewing reports
• Ability to provide leadership and facilitate improvement processes
• Ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders in a professional and appropriate manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with them
• Ability to perform work with considerable independence and able to exercise judgment and make decisions independently
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities.
We share the commitment of our parent company, ED&F Man Commodities. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
To apply you must have the right to work for the provided location.