We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join us as a Technical Nutrition Manager to support the Westway sales team in the sale of liquid feed products in the beef industry. You will provide individual and group training of technical knowledge in ruminant nutrition and management and provide leadership in the selling process. You will also provide leadership and participation in the development and research of current and new value-added products that support the Westway beef strategy. You will also provide the necessary technical support to customer and vendors as needed. This position reports to the Director of Research & Development / Technical Services for Westway.
Location and travel: This role has responsibility for the South/South East region of the USA, it is home-based with about circa 60% travel required; requires the post-holder to live preferably in Texas and ideally close to an airport.
Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform. Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
We are part of ED&F Man Commodities, a world leading trader of agricultural products including coffee, sugar, molasses and animal feed.
- Provide necessary technical support for our sales team and other associated departments in the sale of Westway feed products
- Provide technical nutrition and management training on an individual and group situation to support the value of feeding liquid products manufactured by Westway Feed Products
- Learn and become proficient in necessary software and procedures that are required to formulate, manufacture and price products in the Westway system
- Become fully knowledgeable of liquid ingredients, their feeding values, the manufacturing specifications necessary to formulate and blend liquid ingredients to make quality liquid products
- Regularly schedule time with Westway beef sales team to maintain good working relationships, reinforce the value of conducting business with Westway and continue building a portfolio of business by supporting the sales team
- Provide product and ingredient expertise in the areas of animal husbandry, nutrition and feed manufacturing to concentrated feeding operations, range cattle operations, distributors, dealers, and independent consulting nutritionist, to increase the sales of Westway products through relationships, through technical knowledge and providing information as a valued resource to customers and independent consulting nutritionists
- Assist customers and independent consulting nutritionist with liquid management information and technical information on molasses based liquid feed supplements as well as the value of liquid by-products
- Assist customers with animal management and feeding programs in the beef feedlot industry
- Work with and be a resource for the operations, nutrition and formulations, and regional sales manager by providing novel ideas from the field on product development, opportunities in feeding programs, market competition, changes in the market, and customer attitudes
- Prepare and deliver product pricing to customers and potential customers with reasonable and equitable margins and handle ordering and delivery process products for customers
- Be involved in local and state beef feedlot organizations, representing Westway at local, state and prominent beef feedlot and range conferences throughout the beef industry
- Maintain professional status by attending professional meetings and conferences and ensuring a satisfactory level of competency for accepted and innovative industry practices by attending company approved meetings and seminars; and by reading pertinent information in professional journals, field day reports, specialized industry publications and popular press
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of Master of Science in Animal Nutrition or related degree
- Doctorate in Animal Nutrition or related field of study – preferable
- Knowledge of beef market/industry trends – essential
- Ability to interact with others in a professional and appropriate manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers
- Ability to research and analyze market, industry and customers, and to apply that information to manage accounts and increase sales
- Ability to understand and apply basic mathematical concepts
- Ability to incorporate favorable terms for the company into negotiations
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business and professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, and financial reports
- Ability to effectively present information, communicates with, and responds to questions and complaints from co-workers, management, and customers
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedures
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems and ability to interpret a variety of instructions, policies and data
- High motivation level with the ability to perform work with considerable independence under the general direction of supervisor as well as ability to exercise judgment and make decisions independently
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.