We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our business as an Assistant Manager and Agronomist in Hingham, Montana. The purpose of this role, upon completion of a training program, is to provide both commercial and operational management support to the Maviga pulses business in Hingham, Montana.
Some of the duties associated with this position include managing the day to day operations of our processing lines, to maximize efficiency, safety, and profitability; quality control to ensure our product meets or exceeds the demands of our customers; buying crops by contracting new crop acres from growers, and aggressively pursuing crops on the spot market throughout the year; working hands on with are producers in the field, to monitor crops for pest, weeds, and overall plant quality and yields. Also advises growers on best practices for seeding, spraying, and harvest techniques that will allow them to deliver high yields and top-notch quality.
Maviga NA, Inc. is the North American subsidiary of ED&F Man, and is a leading force in the origination, processing, and trading of dried edible pulses to both domestic and export consumers.
We are part of ED&F Man Commodities, an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 2,800 people in 110 countries and annual revenue in excess of $8bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses. Corporate responsibility is ingrained in our culture. We are passionate about sustainable production, take care to limit the environmental impact of our operations and actively support the communities in which we work.
We are looking for a candidate that possess strong critical thinking and communication skills to be trained as our assistant manager. Candidates should have some knowledge of local agricultural practices, be a team player, and have the ability to build and maintain relationships with growers.
- Participate fully in the day-to-day operations of the facility
- Assist local and corporate management in evaluating local market forecasting
- Assist in contracting new crop acres, and buying crops on the spot market throughout the year
- Attend various trade shows to promote our company, educate producers on pulse crops and farming practices, build our grower base, and strengthen grower and industry relations
- Make field visits to monitor the growth and quality of new crop acres
- Assist in managing all policies and processes to include health and safety, and food safety
- Develop a thorough understanding of elevator and pulse crop processing plant operations
- Assists the General Manager with recruitment, training, performance management, compensation, time-off and discipline
- Coordinates production and receiving and ensures orders are fulfilled correctly
- Observes and makes recommendations regarding the efficiency of the plant operations
- Assists in planning and coordinating customer service activities in consultation with the plant manager, acts as a contact for customers in conjunction with the plant manager
- Enforces company policies and procedures to provide and ensure a safe environmentally responsible workplace, assisting with safety meetings and inspections
- Assists with plant audits and completes special projects as requested by management
- Interacts and communicates with colleagues and employees in a professional and appropriate manner and responds to and gives feedback in a respectful and positive manner
- Takes the initiative to identify problems, uses judgement to find appropriate solutions and follow through on resolving issues in a timely manner
- Maintains confidentiality and supports team efforts, actively working to generate respect and enthusiasm, cooperation, and active learning from team members
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an Agricultural related subject, from a four-year accredited college or university – preferred
- Agronomy combined with commercial business-related work experience – preferred
- Farming or agronomy background
- Ability to adapt to multiple demands, shifting priorities, adversity, and change
- Customer service focus
- Able to read, analyze and interpret documents (regulations, policies, reports, bids), blueprints, drawings and write reports, correspondence and procedures
- Able to effectively present information, communicate with and respond to questions and complaints from staff, co-workers, management, and customers
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in standard PC applications including MS Office and able to quickly learn other software
- Knowledge of pertinent laws and regulations
- Able to work at height without limitations and in confined places using (vertical) ladders and pathways (eg: working on platforms, scaffolding, climbing on top of railcars, truck trailers and land tanks etc)
- Standard work hours 8 AM – 5 PM, Monday – Friday with some overtime and weekends and also some travel required
As an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
We provide a fast-paced, stimulating and truly global environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the global leaders in soft commodity trading.
Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus, Entrepreneurship
Our values define who we are. They are the fundamental beliefs that determine our actions and guide our behaviour. They influence the way we communicate and collaborate, and define the way we engage with our clients, partners, and communities. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and are focussed on actively building and developing diverse teams. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
To apply, you must be eligible to work in the United States.