ED&F Man has an opportunity for an experienced and high calibre Financial Controller to join a world leading trader of agricultural commodities within a wholly owned subsidiary of our Coffee Trading Division - Volcafe. This senior finance position offers a broad spectrum of opportunity, scope, commercial activity and authority.
The successful candidate will cover the position of Financial Controller of our main trading entity in Switzerland coordinating and financially managing this business which is at the centre of all our coffee trading, including providing high quality analysis, review, decision support and financial leadership.
We are seeking a commercial oriented finance professional who is able to drive the business forward. This is a significant “hands on” role requiring flexibility to handle detailed transactional level work as well as higher level analysis and review. Ideally, you will have significant experience of operating within a fast paced multinational, entrepreneurial trading and/or commercial environment.
The successful individual will have a solid understanding of physical commodity trading and its impact on financial reporting, cash funding and risk. It is essential to have experience of hedging accounted for under IFRS.
Volcafe is one of the world’s leading international green coffee trading companies with its head office in Winterthur, Switzerland, operating in over 20 countries globally, in coffee procurement, sustainability, blending and export as well as importing and distribution, and it supplies the world’s major coffee roasters and retail distributors with their green coffee requirements, with significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
• Coordinate, review and drive the financial performance and results of the entity, including providing commercial insight and analysis as a key team member. Ensuring timely and accurate completion of all group and local reporting requirements
• Month end closing by profit centre, anaylsis of the result, including valuation, position control and variance analysis
• Post calculation on physical contracts
• Responsible for effectively managing and delivering accurate budgeting and medium term planning within group timelines, including cost control
• Understand the operation’s trade flows, their impact on cash management, resource usage and statutory reporting
• Supervision of the daily accounting work
• Manage limit controls, respective reports, reviews and limit changes
• Leading the operational tasks of invoice factoring, including implementation, reconciliation, control and interactions with clients and associated banks
• Debtors and account receivables control
• Organizing semi-annual stock counts
• Reporting in Hyperion under IFRS to the Group parent company in London
• Review and supervision of the daily position report
• Review of annual accounts package and statutory reports
• Follow the group’s minimum control standards and delegated authorities
• Complete capital investment reviews and proposals
• Prepare for and manage internal and external annual audits – maintain a strong internal control environment and ensuring all risk limits are strictly adhered to.
• European VAT reconciliations and control (Spain, Portugal, Greece, UK)
• Control of third party representative office costs in Ethiopia and Vietnam, including supervision of their financial and legal activities
• Service and competence centre in terms of Finance for the Swiss Trading Entity
• Proactively gain an understanding of new accounting standards and their potential impact on the business unit’s results
• Respond to ad hoc requests and assist special projects for CFO and Senior Directors
• Financially lead and be part of the weekly Traders Meetings
• Enhance and improve the general internal control environment
Skills & Qualifications
• Significant experience in international accounting and/or controlling
• Professional accounting accreditation (fully qualified) or MBA
• Prior commodity knowledge a significant advantage
• Fluent in English
• Self-confident and self-motivated person, not afraid of a very ‘hands-on’ approach and able to operate within a team of different nationalities, cultures and personalities
• Microsoft Excel, plus ideally Hyperion and Microsoft Dynamics AX experience
• Prior experience in implementing new ERP IT solutions and/or project management also desirable